Freaky's Official Explorer and GT-40 intake thread. 56k, dont' bother

• Sponsors (?)

thanks!

Also, do you know what size/length stds I'll need for the B and EGR spacer?
Depnding on if I can pull it off or not, I'll either mod the Explorer TB or use my stocker for now, so do you know size & length for both applications?
Thanks!

jaymac said:
thanks!

Also, do you know what size/length stds I'll need for the B and EGR spacer?
Depnding on if I can pull it off or not, I'll either mod the Explorer TB or use my stocker for now, so do you know size & length for both applications?
Thanks!

The ones off your stock intake will work. that is what I have done on three of them now. the thread size is 5/16-18. I will get you a length for sure. That also reminds me to go out and measure the bolts for the upper to lower to add to the thread. I have a 1" spacer and had to get longer bolts. Thanks for making me remind myself!

Steve

I just looked over my intake today. I noticed I have the exp 2 lower with the exp 1 upper. (They were bought separately from each other on E-bay a few years ago for X-mas.) Now, will I have to run an EGR delete kit or plug lines on the spacer on mine for it all to work well? Will the exp 1 upper even work with the exp 2 lower, since the lower doesn't have the center EGR hole?

Kevin - you won't really know how it's gonna work til you try it. Since exhaust gas can't get to the valve, your egr will be non-functional. The good news about this is you can hook up your egr valve just like normal - and the computer will try to operate it -- so you won't get a check engine light.

The bad news is that the computer will continue to pull fuel (lean) and add timing under light load conditions, and with no actual exhaust entering the manifold diluting the mixture and cooling the chamber (that's how egr works), you may experience problems with detonation.

Only way to know is to try. I deleted the egr completely on mine and used the chip to turn off the egr function in the ecu. Problem solved. No egr - no detonation. I have the later model Explorer intake.

I have an EXP 2 intake on my 89 and leave the EGR plugged in. It ran fine, and i had no detenation problems, but then again my A/F ratio was in the 12.2 range. it still got pretty decent milelage though, it just wasn't optimal for performance and economy. I will have a chip burned to aleviate the problem when it is back on the road. When i still had the 19lb injectors in the car and the A/F ratio was right on par (13.1). I popped two differant head gaskets...i thought it was from lack of fuel. Thanks Micheal for shedding some light on the detenation issue.

I had an EXP 1 intake on my 66 EFI mustang. I didn't run an EGR valve (EGR delelet plate). I got a check engine light all the time from it.

I would say from my experiences that it will be ok, just watch the A/F ratio and keep an ear out for detonation.

Here is a pci of a Cobra lower with the EGR coolant return nipple in it - it's the boss at the right rear of the intake. Takes a 9/16" drill and a 3/8" NPT tap to do this and the ACT sensor in the #5 runner.